Wednesday 2 January 2013

Ranelagh Restaurants

I really love Ranelagh, having lived here for almost six years now. It's just a 20 minute stroll into town (perhaps a little more for me!) with some really great amenities but I have to (and hate to) say it is vastly overrated as a 'food mecca'.

Restaurants in the village come and go and whilst I eagerly try them all out, the only two I return to again and again are The Pubjab Balti and La Bodega.

Indian food is my absolute favourite and, since I discovered The Punjab Balti on moving to the area, I have found it to serve consistently excellent Indian  food in a very relaxed atmosphere. They have a great value Early Bird which is available Monday to Thursday up to 7.30 pm and consists of a starter, main course, one side and a glass of wine at €16.95 per person. Their lamb, in particular, is always excellent - tender, free of gristle and  really flavourful. However, they can be a little slow to offer you the Early-Bird menu! Nevertheless, in my opinion, this restaurant knocks its competition out of the water for Indian food in D6.

The people at La Bodega serve wonderful tapas at the top of the village at very competitive prices, that is if you can control yourself and limit the number of dishes you order! I am invariably embarrassed as the waiter tries to squeeze everything I've ordered onto the little table!The portions are bigger than your average tapas and there is a great variety of vegetarian, fish and meat dishes. I always order the croquettes and try to leave room for their fab Crema Catalana ( like a Spanish Creme Brulee).

These two, in my humble opinion, are easily Ranelagh's culinary best.


No comments:

Post a Comment